Natural Hair and Too Much Protein

protein build-up hair in bun and linked cornrows style by 1BlessedNatural


Happy Monday everyone!
This week, I removed my mini twists, washed, and deep protein conditioned my hair. I noticed that my hair was very dull, dry, and breaking. In my last hair article, I talked about my hair breakage. I trimmed my ends thinking this would be the remedy to my problem, but it only helped a bit. Today my hair was very dry, despite me moisturizing it. Also, my hair was very stiff, and my ends would not curl. I've talked about product build-up before, but protein build-up is also very important in which to be aware. Too much protein on your strands can do just the opposite of what you intended to do. After a conversation with Certainly4C , I realized that I had done a lot of protein treatments within the last few months. I knew that protein build-up was possible, but I don't know what I was thinking, lol. Thank God for this blog! I was able to go back and see that I did protein treatments on or around the following days:


July 31, 2013
September 2, 2013
October 3, 2013

I also know that between July and September, I did a 1 mayonnaise treatment and at least 2 yogurt treatments = no bueno! "What's next,"you ask? Today, I'm going to shampoo my hair with a clarifying shampoo to remove the protein build-up, and then I will deep condition it. I will also keep my hair moisturized, especially my ends. I should see an improvement soon. Here are some signs that you may have protein-build up, especially after a protein treatment:

  • Dry or brittle hair (straw- like)
  • Breaking strands
  • dull hair 
  • lack of elasticity
After reading several articles, I learned that many hair products contain protein even though they may not say it on the front of the bottle. I remember that one of my shampoos had protein in it. As a result, I will be discontinuing the use of any hair products with protein in it, until my hair is back to normal.  I will keep you all updated on my progress!

Have you experienced protein build-up?

Related Articles: DIY Protein Conditioner Recipe For Natural Hair
                          My Verdict on Yogurt Conditioning for Natural Hair
                          Indication of Product Build-Up


Comments